Walton Milestones

The history of The Walton Centre!

Here's a timeline of The Walton Centre, looking at some of the highlights and key dates since it's start in the 1940s: 

1947 - patients were transferred from Winwick Hospital to N1 and N2 wards in Walton hospital, which comprised the neurosurgical department.

1948 -The NHS was born. Florence Lund (nee Barnes) qualified as a nurse in Liverpool. She was a patient at Walton Hospital in the 1980s and her daughter now works for the Trust as a non-executive director

 

Pictured is Sherrington Ward as it was (date unknown) in the old Rice Lane Building. Staff think the man in the picture is Efryn Bala who went on to work on Lipton Ward, which is based on the first floor of the main building. Efryn has been retired for a few years now. The door he is pictured next to led to the staff changing room and a smoking room.

 

1972 - The new department opened on Rice Lane in 1972 after nine years of planning

 

 

1992 - On 10 December, The Walton Centre became a stand-alone NHS Trust and the Walton Neuroscience Fund was set up, now known as The Walton Centre Charity.

 

 1994 -  Robotic equipment was installed in theatres –  The Walton Centre was the first hospital in the UK to pilot this technology, and it was used to treat patients for ten years. The equipment was tested for two years and then used to treat patients for ten years. Thanks to The Walton Centre Charity, a state-of-the-art Robotic Arm was subsequently purchased in 2017 and is now used to treat patients with epilepsy. We are one of only a few hospitals with this surgical technology in the UK. 

 

 

1998 - Staff and patients moved into the new building –  Pictured is MP for Liverpool Walton, Peter Kilfoyle, cutting the first sod ahead of construction and Joyce Brittan Trust Chairman with the plaque to commemorate the official opening by HRH Princess Anne on 11 November 1998.

 

2002 - Our first ‘Modern Matrons’ were appointed. We now have four Matrons in post.

 

2004 - Paediatric services moved from The Walton Centre to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.

 

2006 - £1.2m was invested into the Picture Archive and Communication System to make X-rays available to staff electronically, on their computers.

 

 

2009 - Became a Foundation Trust with members and A Council of Governors. Today, the Trust has over 6000 members. If you’d like to find out more or sign up, check out the 'About Us' section.

 

2012 - Chavasse Ward opened

 

 

2014 - Sid Watkins Building completed. Our Complex Rehabilitation Unit, Pain Management Team, Neuropsychology Team are based there along with a second Outpatient Department, our Education Centre and a number of different corporate departments. It was officially opened by HRH Princess Anne in December 2015.

 

2016 - Awarded an Outstanding rating by the Care Quality Commission

 

 

2017 - Two new theatres with an intra-operative MRI scanner was completed and officially opened by Marina and Kenny Dalglish following a charitable donation by the Marina Dalglish Appeal.