Motor Neurone Disease - Nurse Specialist Service
Who is the Service for?
The nurse service is available for anyone who has a diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease (MND) and is under the care of The Walton Centre. With your permission the service is also available to your friends and family who have any questions/concerns.
- Present during consultant clinics (1 x weekly)
- Ward visits in Walton Centre & University Hospital Aintree if MND is confirmed
- Telephone advice line
- Symptom management
- Referral to other disciplines/agencies
Home visits can be made available but are not possible in all areas, for further information and discussion please contact the nurse specialist.
How to make contact:
I work Mondays to Thursdays excluding bank holidays. I work on the wards and in clinics so you will have to leave a message with the nurse advice line and you will be told when I will return your call. This is not a 24 hour service so please call between the hours of 9am-4pm (mon-fri): 0151 556 4008
When should I contact the MND nurse?
- If you have a question about MND
- If you are experiencing symptoms and wish to discuss them (non-urgently)
- If you require advice about independent living
- If you require help/advice or referral to other services/agencies
Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA)
The MNDA is a national, charitable organisation that offers advice, information and support to all those who are affected by MND. There is a network of branches and groups which offer support group meetings for people with MND and their families. There are two MNDA Regional Care Development Advisers who work with The Walton Centre. The Association is a valuable resource, which can help with a wide range of questions and issues.
Please Remember: I am available for information and support but if you have an urgent problem or an emergency, please contact your GP or local emergency service.
Useful contact telephone numbers:
The Walton Centre 0151 525 3611
Regional Care Development Advisors Merseyside, Cheshire and West Lancs 0845 298 3286
North Wales and Isle of Man 0845 375 1824
MND Connect 0808 802 6262 www.mndassociation.org
- Last Updated:01 March 2018
- Review Date:01 March 2022
- Author:Karen Twist MND Team
The nurse service is available for anyone who has a diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease (MND) and is under the care of The Walton Centre.