Equality, diversity and inclusion
At The Walton Centre we recognise that there are a variety of different needs and priorities amongst our staff and across the communities we serve. We are committed to improving equality outcomes throughout the Trust. We strive to deliver services that take account of the human rights of every patient and member of staff. The ‘Walton Way’ value system is at the heart of all we do.
The Equality Act 2010
The Equality Act was introduced in October 2010, replacing all previous anti-discrimination legislation. The Equality Act provides protection for people with each of the following characteristics:
- Gender reassignment
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
In order to meet our obligations under the Equality Act The Walton Centre must:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share a characteristic and those who do not.
Public sector equality duty
The Equality Act also includes a public sector equality duty which came into law on 10 September 2011 and sets out that The Walton Centre must:
- Publish equality information for both patients and staff on an annual basis
- Publish equality objectives at least every four years, ensuring these are specific and measurable, and set out how progress towards the objectives will be measures
- Publish details of our engagement in developing equality objectives also at least every four years
Equality Delivery System (EDS)
EDS helps The Walton Centre respond to and meet the specific duties of the public sector equality duty. It requires the Trust to self-assess and report our progress towards excellence in equality of outcomes for everyone, this includes both patients and staff, regardless of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, transgender background, religion or belief, age or marital status.
The Walton Centre continues to make good progress against the EDS goals, the EDS2 Report template details the organisation’s most recent and up-to-date EDS information for 2015.
Workforce Race Equality Standard
NHS England have developed the Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) which has been included in the 2015/16 NHS Standard Contract. The standard requires organisations to demonstrate progress against nine indicators of workforce equality.
Equality impact assessments
The Walton Centre is working towards ensuring that all policies, services and functions are equality impact assessed. Prior to any new service being commissioned or any change being made to an existing service consideration for any equality impacts should be made and recorded.
Every department is also required to complete an equality impact assessment at least every three years to identify any potential barriers or risk areas within their department. As part of this, managers are expected to ensure any actions are completed which will improve services to both patients and staff.
Cultural and religious needs of patients
The task of addressing the spiritual and religious needs of those who come into hospital is something we all share. We have prepared a detailed booklet to further enhance our care for everyone, but in particular the patients, within our hospital community.
If you have any questions, queries or concerns relating to Equality and Diversity, or would just like to find out more, please contact Andrew Lynch, Equality and Inclusion Lead, 0151 556 3396.
- Gender Pay Gap Report 2022
- Workforce Disability Equality Standard (WDES) 2022
- Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) Report 2022
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Annual Report 2021
- Gender Pay Gap Report 2021
- Workforce Disability Equality Standard (WDES) Report 2021
- Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) Report 2021
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Annual Report 2020
- Fighting Racism 2020
- Gender Pay Gap Report 2020
- Workforce Disability Equality Standard (WDES) Report 2020
- Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) Report 2020
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Annual Report 2019
- Workforce Disability Equality Standard (WDES)
- Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES)
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Annual Report 2018
- Gender Pay Gap Report 2018/2019
- Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) 2018
- Equality and Diversity Objectives 2017-2021
- Equality and Diversity Patient Report 2017
- Equality and Diversity Workforce Report 2017
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion 5 Year Vision 2017
- Gender Pay Gap Report 2017/2018
- Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) Report 2017
Page last updated: 07 September 2022