We offer a comprehensive diagnostic, therapeutic and support service for adult patients with neuromuscular disorders (NMD), including Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, inflammatory polyneuropathy, motor neurone disease, muscular dystrophy and myasthenia gravis. We are recognised by the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign as a Neuromuscular Centre of Clinical Excellence for Adults. There are eight to nine neuromuscular clinics weekly with less frequent transitional/adolescent clinics to provide a consultant-led service that includes a rehabilitation physician clinic for complex patients and specialist neuromuscular nurse follow-up clinic.
- Dr Charlotte Dougan (general NMD & transitional/adolescent clinic)
- Dr James Holt (general NMD & transitional/adolescent clinic)
- Dr Shagufay Mahendran (complex NMD and transitional/adolescent clinic)
- Dr Simon McCrory (general NMD)
- Dr Siva Sathasivam (general NMD, motor neurone disease, myasthenia gravis)
- Ms Cathy Prescott (follow-up NMD)
We offer the following services:
- Specialist neuromuscular consultant assessment for diagnosis and management of condition with additional dedicated clinics for motor neurone disease (see dedicated page) and myasthenia gravis
- Access to neurophysiology (nerve conduction studies and EMG) and neuropathology (muscle and nerve biopsy) services as required on site
- Specialist occupational therapy (OT), physiotherapy (PT) and speech and language therapy (SLT) assessment available on day of NMD clinic when required in most cases, or in subsequent standalone specialist therapy clinics
- Neuromuscular care advisor advice (contact: 0151 252 5451) and referral to outside agencies or home visits as required
- For patients requiring treatment with intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIg) our neuromuscular nurse carries out assessments and treatment optimisation, plus offers a service for home treatment with subcutaneous immunoglobulin (SCIg)
- Specialist neuromuscular nurse advice line available to all our patients for telephone appointments re clinical concerns relating to their NMD (contact: 0151 556 4008 and request an appointment with the neuromuscular nurse – this number is also used to request appointments with the MND nurse, who is the best contact if you have been diagnosed with MND and have clinical queries)
- Respiratory assessment and genetic services off site
- Access to Neuroscience Research Centre for engagement in clinical research (NRC; our clinical trials unit) where available
A muscle biopsy is a procedure in which a small sample of muscle is removed for testing in a laboratory.
A nerve biopsy is the removal of a small piece of a nerve for testing in the laboratory.
There is damage to the nerves connecting the brain and spinal cord to the muscles in the arms and legs. These nerves are the peripheral nervous system
IVIg is recommended for use in Guillain-Barré syndrome, multifocal motor neuropathy and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy (CIDP).
There is damage to the nerves connecting the brain and spinal cord to the muscles in the arms and legs.
Neuromuscular disorders Consultants
Dr James Holt is the clinical lead of the team delivering the specialist neuromuscular service.
Dr Sivakumar Sathasivam is a Consultant Neurologist at The Walton Centre. He leads the MND service and specialises in neuromuscular disorders in particular myasthenia gravis.
Dr Charlotte Dugan is a Consultant Neurologist at The Walton Centre.
Dr Shagufay Mahendran is a Consultant in Rehabilitation Medicine at The Walton Centre where she is also the clinical lead for innovation.
Dr Simon McCrory is a Consultant Neurologist at The Walton Centre.
Page last updated: 01 September 202167